Fashion has been influencing lives of people all around the world in some way or the other. The fashion trend keeps changing according to the seasons and wants of the society at the times. It is taken as a mood lifter for most of the woman. We all love fashion, but are we aware about some interesting and surprising facts about fashion that prevailed in the history?
Here are few eye-openers to begin with…
- The first fashion magazine was published in Germany in 1586 followed by one published in 1678, in France. It was called Le Mercure Galant and aimed at male readers. A female fashion magazine followed 16 years later.
- Cotton is the most widely used clothing material, but it only became common in mid-1800s, when Eli Whitney’s cotton gin made it easy to separate the cotton fibers from the seeds.
- Eyeliner wasn’t very popular at all until around the 1920s. It only became popular after King Tutankhamun’s tomb was discovered in 1922, which sparked a renewed interest in Ancient Egypt, and people saw images of the young king wearing eyeliner.
- Up until the 19th century, children were dressed as miniature adults and no clothes were designed for them…
- Coco Chanel invented the concept of “costume jewelry” by creating designs that mixed fake pearls and stones with real pearls and diamonds. Chanel is also credited with inventing the “little black dress.”
- In 1915, modern lipstick was first produced in the United States. Purple was the most favourite lipstick colour of the 1960s, followed in the 1970s by white.
- Before Queen Victoria’s white wedding, white was a color traditionally associated with mourning primarily in East.