Hunter beef is a popular Pakistani dish, which is essentially a spiced and marinated roast beef. It’s flavorful and tender, making it a great addition to sandwiches or served on its own with various side dishes. Here’s a recipe for preparing hunter beef.
- One kg beef (boneless and preferably from the round or undercut).
- One cup plain yogurt.
- Three tablespoons vinegar.
- Two tablespoons Worcestershire sauce.
- One tablespoon paprika or red chili powder (adjust to your spice preference).
- One tablespoon garlic and ginger paste.
- One teaspoon ground black pepper, ground cumin, ground coriander, garam masala.
- Half teaspoon turmeric powder, nutmeg powder, cinnamon powder, cloves powder.
- Salt to taste.
- 3-4 tablespoons oil (vegetable or any cooking oil of your choice).
- Rinse the beef under cold running water and pat it dry with paper towels. Make sure there are no excess fat or silver skin on the meat.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine yogurt, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, paprika or red chili powder, garlic paste, ginger paste, black pepper, cumin, coriander, garam masala, turmeric, nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, and salt. Mix everything thoroughly to form a smooth marinade.
- Place the beef in the bowl with the marinade, ensuring it is evenly coated. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or a lid and refrigerate it for at least 12-24 hours (preferably 24 hours) to allow the flavors to develop and tenderize the meat.
- Preheat your oven to 160°C (320°F).
- Take the marinated beef out of the refrigerator and let it sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes before cooking.
- Heat oil in a large oven-safe skillet or roasting pan over medium-high heat. Sear the marinated beef on all sides until it develops a nice brown crust. This step helps seal in the juices.
- Once seared, cover the roasting pan with foil or a tight-fitting lid, and transfer it to the preheated oven.
- Roast the beef for about 2 to 2.5 hours or until it becomes tender.
- Slice the hunter beef into thin pieces and serve it with your favorite side dishes, or use it to make sandwiches.