Rogan Josh is a lamb/mutton curry with a heady combination of intense spices in a creamy tomato curry sauce. The meat is cooked tender and packs a serious flavour punch!
While this recipe calls for a lengthy list of spices, much of the ingredients can be found in your kitchen.
- kg lamb or mutton, cut into medium-sized pieces
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil or ghee
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger paste
- 1 tbsp garlic paste
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp fennel powder
- 1 tsp Kashmiri red chili powder (or paprika)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 cup yogurt
- Salt, to taste
- 2 cups water
- 2-3 green cardamom pods
- 1 black cardamom pod and 1 cinnamon stick
- 2-3 cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- Fresh coriander leaves, for garnish
Heat oil or ghee in a heavy-bottomed pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat
- Add the onions and sauté until they turn golden brown.
- Add ginger paste and garlic paste and sauté for a minute.
- Add cumin powder, coriander powder, fennel powder, Kashmiri red chili powder, and turmeric powder. Sauté for a minute.
- Add the lamb/mutton pieces and sauté for 5-7 minutes until they turn brown on all sides.
- Add the yogurt and salt. Mix well.
- Add water and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover the pot, and simmer for 1-1.5 hours until the lamb/mutton is cooked through and tender.
- In a small pan, dry roast the green cardamom pods, black cardamom pod, cloves, cinnamon stick, and bay leaf until fragrant. Grind to a fine powder.
- Add the ground spices to the pot and mix well. Simmer for another 5-10 minutes.
- Sprinkle garam masala powder over the top and garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
Serve hot with steamed rice or naan bread. Enjoy your delicious Rogan Josh!